Polenta is a kind of cornmeal mush that originated in Northern Italy as peasant food. But in the US, it’s served at upscale restaurants as a gourmet dish. The reality is somewhere in the middle. It can be a basic porridge, not a lot of flavors, or a high-end, kicked version that has expensive ingredients as part of the recipe.
Today, we are going to make two versions of Polenta, both from the “Cooking Secrets for Men” category. We use tubed polenta as a shortcut. No standing over the stove stirring in milk/cream/butter/cheese for up to 45 minutes.
- Med sized pot for boiling water
Side Dish – Creamy Polenta
- 1 16 oz. Tube precooked polenta Fat Free & Gluten Free
- 3 tbsp of Butter
- ½ cup of Milk or cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
Appetizer – Grilled Polenta w/Sauteed Mushrooms
- 1 16 oz. Tube precooked Polenta Fat Free & Gluten Free
- 1 cup sliced Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- ½ cup white wine
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ cup Olive oil for basting
- Fresh Rosemary as garnish
- Hot Grill & Basting brush
To Prepare: Side Dish – Creamy Polenta
- Place the unopened tube of Polenta in a pot of boiling water. and boil for 5-7 minutes
- Remove tube, dump boiling water out and return tube of polenta to the pot
- Using a sharp knife, cut the tube in half and squeeze the polenta into the empty pan
- Add butter, cream, salt & pepper and cheese and stir to blend
- Polenta will be ready after 1-2 minutes of stirring
To Prepare: Appetizer – Grilled Polenta w/Sauteed Mushrooms
- Slice the precooked tube into ½ inch slices, about 9 per tube.
- Heat butter in a pan and sauté mushrooms for 2-3 minutes
- Add salt and pepper as desired
- As mushrooms darken, add wine to de glaze to the pan
- Add 1 more tablespoon of butter to mushrooms
- Preheat your grill
- Use Basting Brush on sliced rounds of polenta with olive oil and grill on both sides for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Remove from grill, top with sautéed mushrooms and fresh Rosemary
Cooking Secrets for Men
“Cooking Secrets for Men” has recently been listed as one of the Top 30 Men’s Cooking Websites and Blogs on the Internet. You can read that article here and see where we rank for Men’s Cooking Websites.
(Free) Just released – E-Cookbook Vol 3 – Appetizers now available for free download at this link
E-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. The next e-Cookbook will be Vol 4 – Pasta!, which will be written in English and Italian.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. And at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org