Smashed Potatoes- This recipe is all about technique. The secondary ingredients you use can be very adaptable. Mashed and smashed potatoes both start out by boiling the potatoes until they are nice and tender. It’s what you do after boiling that differentiates the two.
Mashed potatoes get mashed with milk, and butter, and whipped into a creamy consistency. Smashed potatoes get tossed with some olive oil and herbs then smashed into thin patties. and roasted until crispy. Smashed Red Potatoes are a simple dish to make because you don’t have to peel the skin. The skin gets extra crispy during roasting.
Smashed Potatoes INGREDIENTS
- 1 lb. red potatoes or baby Yukon Gold, un-skinned
- 1 large tablespoon salt for boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary
- A sheet pan lined with parchment paper
DIRECTIONS for Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a tablespoon of salt. There should be enough room in the pot so the potatoes are not crowded when boiling.
- Bring water to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender. (about 15 minutes)
- Drain and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Put the potatoes on the sheet pan. Allow enough room between them when they are smashed.
- Use the bottom of a small glass or flat bottom jar to press down on potatoes to smash them into flat patties.
- Sprinkle the chopped rosemary on top of the patties.
- Drizzle a little oil on top, if needed.
- Bake until bottoms of smashed potatoes are beginning to crisp, about 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Cold potatoes are not very good!
Optional substitutions for Smahed Potatoes
- You can top with 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Substitute 4 tbsp. melted butter for the olive oil
- You can substitute 2 cloves garlic, minced for the garlic salt
- Use other herbs, such as oregano or thyme
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
(Free) Just released – e-Cookbook Vol 3 – Appetizers now available for free download. e-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” is available for download. E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available on the same download page. Also free! The next e-Cookbook will be Vol 4 – Pasta!
If you liked this recipe for Smashed Red Potatoes, you should try our recipe for Tuna Tartare. Or you can try Polenta cooked two ways
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. And at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
4 thoughts on “Smashed Potatoes – Video”
Very easy side dish to prepare