Hanger vs Skirt Steak – Skirt steak and Hanger steak are tasty, tender, and under-utilized cuts of beef. They are two cuts of meat you need to get from your butcher. It is doubtful that it will be in a package in a refrigerated case with the strip steaks and ground beef.
Hanger steaks are somewhat small and you only get one per cow, unlike skirt steaks, of which there are two per cow. They come from the same part of the cow. Hanger steaks are thicker than skirt steaks, but only measure about 6-7 inches long.
Skirt steaks are longer, thinner pieces of meat. Skirt steaks can be up to 2 feet long and are about 3 to 4 inches across if they have been trimmed. Hanger steak may be labeled butcher’s steak or bistro cut.
If you are looking for a good Hangar Steak, try Traeger.com
Hanger vs Skirt Steak – Aside from their locations on the cow, the big differences between skirt and hanger steaks have to do with the shape and amount of meat that you get from each of these two cuts. In most cases, whole skirt steaks will weigh about two pounds. Hanger steaks weigh significantly less. You can use your favorite meat marinade for either cut of beef.
- Charcoal grill would be nice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup Meat Seasoning*
Meat Seasoning – Makes about 1/4 cup
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 pounds skirt steak trimmed or Hanger Steak
Make the Meat Seasoning-
- In a small bowl, stir together the pepper, salt, cinnamon, paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
Make the Marinade
- In a small bowl or zipped plastic bag, mix together the oil, meat seasoning, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Rub the mixture on both sides of the meat, making sure to work it into the meat.
- Let the meat marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 45 minutes.
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal or gas grill.
- Grilling a Skirt Steak – Grill the steak for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until done to the degree of doneness you prefer. When the thermometer registers 125ºF for medium rare or 135ºF for medium. Let the skirt steaks rest for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
- Grilling a Hanger Steak – Set grill for high heat. Wipe off excess marinade. Grill uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes a side until a thermometer registers 125º F for medium rare or 135º F for medium. Transfer meat to a board to let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
Grilling a Hanger Steak – prepare a grill for high heat. Wipe off excess marinade, then season the meat on both sides generously with salt and pepper. Grill over hot coals uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes a side until a thermometer registers 125º F for medium-rare or 135º F for medium. Transfer meat to a board to let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like this article on Hanger Steak vs Skirt Steak, then you should try our recipe for Blueberry Pie Bars or see how we make a Crown Roast of Pork. To test the doneness of your steak, try this instant-read thermometer from ChefTemps
Unpaid by the following companies
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Of course, Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org