Green Tomato Soup – Many people grow tomatoes in their yards. There is nothing like a ripe, juicy, red tomato in the summer. Picked fresh off the vine. But as you get closer to fall, you may have a lot of green tomatoes that haven’t ripened. Sometimes more than a lot.
You can put them on your window sill and hope they ripen. Some people make green tomato chutney or salsa. I have done that in the past, but I wanted something a little different this year with our excess green tomatoes.
So, here is A creamy Green Tomato Soup for those end-of-summer green tomatoes. This easy recipe takes about 20 minutes to put together, and then you have a tasty and somewhat different type of dish, with Indian-summer flavors. Coconut milk is the magic ingredient for me.
Tomatillos are not Green Tomatoes
While both are members of the nightshade family, green tomatoes are hard, unripe tomatoes that can come from any variety of tomatoes. Tomatillos are not tomatoes, but the fruit of a different plant, and they are covered with papery husks. And they are toxic if not washed before use. There is some debate about how toxic they are. To be safe, you should wash them.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 chili peppers like serrano or jalapeno, seeded & minced
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger or ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Vegetable stock or warm water
- 4-5 cups Green tomatoes diced into about 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- OPTIONAL – Rice to serve with
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Sauté onions and chilis, until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes
- Add the ground mustard, ginger and curry powder.
- Add Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sauté for a few seconds and add a couple of tbsp of warm water
- Add the green tomatoes and stir to combine
- Add the coriander powder and turmeric and mix.
- Add half the coconut milk to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Put the top on and simmer five minutes
- Add the water (or stock) and the other half can of coconut milk.
- Simmer until the tomatoes are soft, another 5 minutes or so.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and let the tomatoes cook another minute or 2
- Top with chopped cilantro.
- Turn off heat and serve (with rice (optional)
Cooking Secrets for Men
If you liked this recipe for Green Tomato Soup, you should try our recipe for Spicy African Peanut Stew
Unpaid by the following companies –
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Paradise Fruit Co – https://www.paradisefruitco.com/paradise-online-store/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Of course, Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com