I have seen variations of this Spicy African Stew in multiple locations. I’ve made some changes and tweaks to the various recipes I have seen. This is the result.
Spicy African Stew
This vegetarian Spicy African Stew is very hearty. The complexity of the spices and ingredients makes this flavorful dish a must-try for even the biggest carnivore. Flavors are layered throughout the preparation of the meal. There is a mixture of flavors, textures, smells and visuals. It is a very colorful, inviting dish to serve.
This is a dish you would find in some North African countries. And Hearty stews like this don’t have to include meat. This rich, vibrantly-spiced vegan stew of eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, and peanut butter that is seasoned with North African spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric and cayenne. Fresh ginger and jalapeño add a little kick.
Other Ingredients for Spicy African Stew
There are other ingredients that will add layers of flavor and texture to this Spicy African Stew, like chickpeas, okra, sweet potatoes, root vegetables, and many others. Use this recipe as a base and add your own ingredients to make it your own.
The basmati rice is a great compliment to this Spicy African Stew, but you can certainly eat it without the rice.
- Wok or large pan
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 2 shallots thinly sliced (substitute onions if you like)
- 1 medium-size eggplant peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, preferably roasted
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 each Zucchini & Yellow squash cut in quarters lengthwise then chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro leaves plus whole leaves for garnish
- Cooked Basmati rice for serving
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, salt & pepper; set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and fry, stirring often, until soft, crisp and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to a large bowl, leaving oil in pot.
- Turn heat to high and add diced eggplant. Cook until lightly browned about 10 minutes.
- Transfer eggplant to the bowl with shallots.
- Add 1 another tablespoon of oil to pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and ginger, cook until soft, about 5 minutes
- Scrape up any browned bits while stirring.
- Add chilies and cook, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add spices, stirring for 30 seconds more.
- Add tomato paste to a hot-spot in pan and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add can of tomatoes, stock, cooked eggplant & shallots and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Place peanut butter in a medium bowl, add one or two ladlesful of hot soup broth, and stir until emulsified
- Pour peanut butter mixture back into soup.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add the Zucchini & Squash, cover and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in chopped cilantro.
- Serve in bowls with rice, garnished with cilantro leaves.
Cooking Secrets for Men
We were featured in “Milwaukee Magazine” May 2023 edition, called “Civic Gastronomy”. Here is the link – https://www.milwaukeemag.com/this-cooking-show-features-milwaukee-community-leaders/
Then a few days later, they were discussing me on the radio. It is a local Foodie show – “This Bites”, where my series “Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders” is discussed (it’s in the first few minutes of the show) https://radiomilwaukee.org/podcast/this-bites/2023-05-26/milwaukee-celebrity-cooking-show.
Unpaid by the following companies
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20)
Mullen’s Applesauce – www.mullenfoods.com/
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
Nakano Knives – https://nakano-knives.com/cookingsecretsformen
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(It’s Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download.
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org