Cooking Risotto in the microwave is a different way to make a delicious labor-intensive dish. It is very easy. You can do other things in the kitchen while the risotto is in the microwave.
Risotto is one of the few comfort foods in the world that provide this level of savory creaminess. Yet for all its simplicity, risotto has gotten a bad rap as a difficult dish to cook. In reality, it is very easy to produce tasty risotto in a microwave.
Microwave Risotto Reputation
Much of risotto’s reputation as a problematic food comes from risotto purists who think you should stand over a hot stove for 45 minutes, while stirring endlessly. As far as I’m concerned, risotto needs to only be two things: rich and savory. You can achieve this several ways and with multiple combinations.
- Microwave safe bowl
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion/Shallot (any onion)
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2¾ cups chicken broth or Vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine Total rice-to-liquid ratio is 3-1
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped asparagus bite sized pieces
- Zest of one lemon
- Optional substitutions for Asparagus include Mushrooms, peas and most any veggie
- Extra ¼ to ½ cup chicken broth or Vegetable broth if needed
- Basil cut into chiffonade ribbons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir the first 4 ingredients into a medium-size microwave-safe container/bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH 2 minutes.
- Add in the Arborio rice, stir to coat it
- Microwave on HIGH 2 minutes.
- Stir in 2¾ cups broth and ¼ cup wine.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Do not vent).
- Microwave on HIGH 8 minutes.
- Carefully stir bowl (to combine the mixture), and
- Microwave on HIGH another 8 minutes. (This step is where you would add any veggies)
- Carefully remove and discard plastic wrap.
- Stir in cheese and ¼ cup chicken broth (if needed), stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy.
- Zest one lemon and stir to combine
- Season with salt and pepper to taste,
- Top with basil chiffonade ribbons and serve immediately.
Making risotto in a microwave will strike a lot of people as a kind of heresy – if you’re not stirring, it ain’t risotto. But if you measure the liquid and the rice carefully, in the correct portions, this will come together in minutes without stirring.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.
Our e-Cookbook, Vol 1 “Sauces” is free and available to download. You can find it here. Vol 2 “Soups”, should be out soon.
If you like this Risotto recipe and video, try our recipe for Tuscan Beans
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to publish it and give you the credit. Just go to this link “Submit your own recipes” or at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. Contact me if you are interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
3 thoughts on “Easy Microwave Risotto”
Very simple dish to cook
So simple, so easy, so tasty