Cooking Risotto in the microwave is a different way to make a delicious labor-intensive dish. It is very easy. You can do other things in the kitchen while the risotto is in the microwave.
Risotto is one of the few comfort foods in the world that provide this level of savory creaminess. Yet for all its simplicity, risotto has gotten a bad rap as a difficult dish to cook. In reality, it is very easy to produce tasty risotto in a microwave.
Much of risotto’s reputation as a problematic food comes from risotto purists who think you should stand over a hot stove for 45 minutes, while stirring endlessly. As far as I’m concerned, risotto needs to only be two things: rich and savory. You can achieve this several ways and with multiple combinations.
Makes 4 servings (about 3 cups) / Prep: 10 Minutes / Cook: 22 Minutes
Basic Recipe Microwave Risotto Ingredients
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion/Shallot/any onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth (or Vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (Total rice-to-liquid ratio is 3-1)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus, bite sized pieces
- Zest of one lemon
- (Optional substitutions for Asparagus include Mushrooms, peas and most any veggie)
- Extra 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth (or Vegetable broth) if needed
- Basil, cut into chiffonade ribbons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir the first 4 ingredients into a medium-size microwave-safe container/bowl. Microwave on HIGH 2 minutes.
- Add in the Arborio rice to coat it, and microwave on HIGH 2 minutes.
- Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Do not vent). Microwave on HIGH 8 minutes.
- Carefully swirl bowl (to combine the mixture), and microwave on HIGH 8 minutes. (This step is where you would add veggies)
- Carefully remove and discard plastic wrap.
- Stir in cheese and 1/4 cup chicken broth (if needed), stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy.
- Zest one lemon and stir to combine
- Add 1/4 cup additional broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste,
- Top with basil chiffonade ribbons and serve immediately.
If you like this recipe and video, try our recipe for Tuscan Beans