For years, I roasted beets, but they were time-consuming and messy. Peeling, slicing and everything including my fingers had a red stain on it. But finally, a friend showed me a better way to roast beets
Roasting transforms beets from something crunchy into something silky and tender. Roasted beets are simple as a side dish or in a salad. This recipe is an Arugula salad, with fresh roasted beets, toasted pine nuts, and feta cheese.
With this method, just scrub the beets well before roasting. No need to peel before or after baking. The perfectly edible skin just seems to disappear during the baking process. Just like carrots, potatoes, and eggplant, no need to peel before roasting.
Skip wrapping beets in foil before cooking. Instead, just toss the cleaned, dried beets with olive oil and salt, then place them in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake.
Bake at high heat: 425°F. Beets are dense, hardy, and can take the heat. Roast at high heat, 425°F., until a sharp knife easily slides into the center of the roasted beets and the skins pull away from the sides. This should take about 45 minutes for medium-size beets and 1 hour for larger beets.
- A mandoline would be nice, but not necessary
- 3 med beets, rinsed and dried
- 5 oz. baby arugula
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp pine nuts (can be toasted)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for roasting)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (for roasting)
Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (for Vinaigrette)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste (for Vinaigrette)
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Scrub the beets well with a vegetable brush under running water (no need to peel them at any point).
- Using a sharp knife, slice off the base of each beet to create a flat surface, and slice off the skinny pointy ends as well.
- Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the beets with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt in the pan.
- Toss until the beets are evenly coated, then arrange them in a single layer across the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil
- Roast for 45 minutes, tossing halfway, until you’re able to pierce through the beets with a fork with light pressure.
- The skin should peel away easily; if it doesn’t, the beets likely need to cook for a little longer.
- Slice cooled beets to desired thickness
- Toast pine nuts in a skillet (no oil) if so desired
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper) and stir well to combine
- Place sliced beets on arugula
- spread crumbled Feta cheese on top of beets and argula
- spread pine nuts over the salad also
- Add Vinaigrette to the salad to taste. If not serving the salad right away, shake the Vinaigrette again just before drizzling over the salad.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
“Cooking Secrets for Men” has recently been listed as one of the Top 30 Men’s Cooking Websites on the Internet. You can read that article here. See where we rank for Men’s Cooking Websites.
If you like this recipe for Roasted Beet Salad, you should try our Mango and Black Bean Salad recipe. Or you may like our recipe for a Middle Eastern Balela Salad. Another Recipe for Beets is our Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad
Unpaid by the following companies –
Graeter’s Ice Cream – www.graeters.com
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Paradise Fruit Co – https://www.paradisefruitco.com/paradise-online-store/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
Penzeys Spices – https://www.penzeys.com/
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) now available to download here
(Yes, Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 3 – “Appetizers” now available for free download at this link
(Free) – E-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” is available for free download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. Our next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
13 thoughts on “Roasted Beet Salad Recipe – video”
Roasted beets are a great accompaniment to an arugula salad!
Just in time for my harvest!
Tasty looking salad. Beets pair so well with salty cheeses. 🙂
Love the info on roasting beets!
Thanks, David! Appreciate your support!!
Do you have golden beets also?
Thanks, Ronit, appreciate your support!!
Thanks for an easy way to roast beets.
Thanks Mindy, How is everythng in Cincy?
What a healthy salad, so pretty looking for the eye.