Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad – We are making something for spring, a Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad. We are going to use Golden Beets instead of the more traditional red beets. And we are going to use some Aloha Honey’s Lemon Blossom Honey to add a little sweetness.
To prepare both the beets and the carrots, remembering this is Cooking Secrets for Men, we don’t peel the beets or the carrots. The skin of the beets will simply rub off after cooking and the carrots don’t need to be peeled before roasting.
We skip wrapping beets individually in foil before cooking. Instead, just toss the cleaned, dried beets with olive oil and salt, then place them in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake.
Beets are dense, hardy, and can take the heat. Roast at high heat, 425°F., until a sharp knife easily slides into the center of the roasted beets and the skins pull away from the sides. This should take about 45 minutes for medium-size beets and 1 hour for larger beets.
Dressing for the Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad
We whisk lemon juice, shallot, honey, cumin, salt, and pepper together for a light, flavorful dressing. Cumin adds warmth to the dressing, honey contributed a touch of sweetness, and shallot gives it a subtle, oniony bite.
And top with some chopped pistachios, lemon zest, and parsley. Pistachios lend nice color and crunch. Adding lemon zest and chopped parsley just before serving results in a bright, well-balanced salad.
Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad
This Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad recipe works because beets and carrots work well together, and roasting them brings out their earthy sweetness. To ensure even cooking, use beets that are of similar size—roughly 2 to 3 inches in diameter. If your beets are larger, the cooking time will be longer.
To turn them into a salad, they are tossed with a vinaigrette while they were still warm, which allows them to absorb maximum flavor.
- 1 lb beets (golden or red beets) scrubbed and both ends cut off
- 1 lb carrots sliced
- 2½ Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest zest the lemon before using the lemon juice
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 tsp honey lemon Honey
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup shelled pistachios toasted and chopped
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
- Scrub the beets well with a vegetable brush under running water (no need to peel before cooking).
- Slice off the ends of each beet to create a flat surface,
- Place the beets in a glass baking dish or line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Drizzle the beets with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Toss until the beets are evenly coated, then arrange them in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Cover beets with aluminum foil
- Roast beets for 20 minutes at 450
- Put the carrots in the 2nd baking pan
- Add 1 tbsp oil, toss to coat carrots
- Season with salt & pepper
- Do not cover the carrots
- After roasting the beets for 20 minutes, put the carrots in the oven and bake both for another 25 min
- Carrots should be nicely roasted after 25 minutes
- Check beets. Pierce through the beets with a fork
- The skin should peel away easily; if it doesn’t, the beets likely need to cook for a little longer.
- Let both cool, especially the beets to be able to handle
- Carefully rub off beet skins using paper towel.
- Slice beets into wedges.
- Whisk lemon juice, shallot, honey, cumin, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the remaining tbsp oil.
- Add beets & carrots, toss to coat, and let cool to room temp
- Add pistachios, parsley, and lemon zest to bowl with beets and carrots and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Cooking Secrets for Men
If you like this recipe for Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad, check out our recipe for Curried Chicken Salad with Crystallized Ginger
Unpaid by the following companies –
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Paradise Fruit Co – https://www.paradisefruitco.com/paradise-online-store/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download here
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. Our next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org