Balela Salad – Middle Eastern Chickpea Salad – This tasty and filling salad is a Middle Eastern favorite! Filled with tons of nutrition from chickpeas and chopped veggies. And packs lots of flavor from fresh herbs, a tangy dressing, and Mediterranean favorites like olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
I have cherry-picked my favorite ingredients from the 100’s of Mediterranean Salad recipes that are floating around. We have added Tuna and parboiled Red Potatoes. Omit the Tuna if you want a vegetarian option.
In Arabic, the word “Balela” means “cooked chickpeas.” This salad is an ancient Middle Eastern chickpea salad. It is simple, wholesome, bright, and flavor-packed.
In the US, the Balela Salad is called by the number of different beans it contains, like “three bean salad” or “four bean salad”
- No special equipment needed
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 can Chicken of the Sea Chunk Tuna
- 8 red potatoes parboiled, quartered and cooled
- ½ cup Green beans parboiled, trimmed into 2” pieces and cooled
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 bell pepper cored and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups grape tomatoes sliced in halves
- 3-5 green onions both white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes Julienne cut in olive oil
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata and Green olives
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
- ¼ cup feta cheese optional
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped mint or basil leaves optional
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped optional
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vinegar, your choice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- In a large bowl, mix together the salad ingredients: chickpeas, vegetables, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and fresh herbs.
- In a separate smaller bowl or jar, mix together the dressing ingredients: olive oil, vinegar, minced garlic, mustard, salt and pepper,
- When serving, drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix gently to coat.
- If not serving right away, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready, give the salad a quick mix and taste to adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce if desired.
Cooking Secrets for Men
If you liked our recipe for Balela Salad, you should try our recipe for a Healthy Salad for Carnivores.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. The next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. And at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com