Easy Colcannon recipe for St Patrick’s Day- Just in time for St Patrick’s day. The “Cooking Secrets for Men” version of Colcannon, using Bob Evans mashed potatoes instead of making your own. This is just a time saver recipe. Making your own mashed potatoes is nice, but store bought mashed potatoes makes this a simple side dish for St Patrick’s Day.
This is an Irish dish made from potatoes and greens. Kale or cabbage are most common. The Irish often serve colcannon at Halloween, hiding a thimble, a ring, and small prizes inside. There really isn’t one way to make colcannon, there are probably as many versions of colcannon as there are Irishmen.
Traditional Irish Song
There’s also a song based on the dish, the traditional Irish song “Colcannon.”
Did you ever eat Colcannon, made from lovely pickled cream?
With the greens and scallions mingled like a picture in a dream.
Did you ever make a hole on top to hold the melting flake
Of the creamy, flavoured butter that your mother used to make?
- 1 large container of Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 small head cabbage about 1 pound, cored and shredded
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp each kosher salt & black pepper
- Melt 3 tbsp of butter in large pan
- Add shredded cabbage and cook until it wilts, about 5-7 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to cabbage as it cooks
- While the cabbage is cooking, put the mashed potatoes in the microwave
- Cook on high for 5 minutes.
- When mashed potatoes come out of the microwave, add to the wilted cabbage and fold to combine.
- Top with the green scallions
- Transfer the colcannon to a large serving bowl and make a well in the middle of the potatoes
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and serve
Cooking Secrets for Men
Unpaid by the following companies –
Graeter’s Ice Cream – www.graeters.com
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Paradise Fruit Co – https://www.paradisefruitco.com/paradise-online-store/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) now available to download here
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. Our next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org