Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes – using pot-in-pot cooking. This technique lets you make two distinct dishes in your Instant Pot at the same time. It is especially handy for weeknight dinners.
What Is Pot-In-Pot Cooking?
Pot-in-pot cooking is a simple way to create layers in your Instant Pot. You’ll use a trivet (the one that came with your Instant Pot is best) to elevate a pan over another dish cooking in the Instant Pot at the same time. Cake pans or disposable aluminum pans work best for pot-in-pot cooking.
Instant Pot Meatloaf Pot-in-Pot
The most important step in pot-in-pot cooking is to make sure that when you set your pan inside The Instant Pot, there is enough room around it for steam to move freely and help build pressure. A six-inch cake pan works very well because it easily slides in and out of the Instant Pot.
It’s also helpful to create a sling for your pan, which makes it easier to remove the Instant Pot Meatloaf. You can make a simple aluminum foil one for single use.
- Instant Pot
- 6″ cake pan
- Aluminum foil
For the Meatloaf
- 2 lbs. ground beef & Pork Sausage one pound each
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp dried mustard or some jar mustard
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 onion diced
- 1 egg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For Meatloaf Glaze
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
For Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 tbsp butter
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, garlic, onion, egg, spices and salt & Pepper.
- Use your hands to combine.
- Shape into a loaf, inside of a 6-inch round cake pan; set aside.
- Combine the potatoes, water, and salt in the Instant Pot
- Place a trivet over the potatoes.
- Create a sling for the meatloaf pan by folding a 12-inch long piece of aluminum foil lengthwise into a 3-inch wide strip.
- Place the meatloaf pan in the center of the strip and then fold up the sides, so you have handles on each side.
- Lower the meatloaf pan into the Instant Pot and place on top of the trivet.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set pressure on HIGH for 35 minutes.
- While the meatloaf cooks, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
- Stir the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard together in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- When cooking is over, let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, manually release any remaining pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot and use the foil sling to carefully remove the meatloaf.
- Carefully drain off the fat and juices around the meatloaf.
- Brush the meatloaf with the glaze and bake for 8 mins at 400 degrees
- Drain water from potatoes and return to Instant Pot
- With the meatloaf in the oven, add the half-and-half and butter to the potatoes and mash to desired consistency.
- Slice the meatloaf and serve with the mashed potatoes.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Unpaid by the following companies –
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Paradise Fruit Co – https://www.paradisefruitco.com/paradise-online-store/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. Our next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org