Those of us of a certain age grew up with stuffed shells and stuffed peppers as “gourmet” cooking back in the day. I remember how proud my mother was to present such an interesting way to serve a meal.
These Stuffed Shells with Ratatouille are an easy weeknight meal, ready in minutes and in this version, a vegetarian option. Just spoon the veggie mixture into each shell, and bake for 12 minutes until the cheese melts. This version turns a French stew into a great way to add vegetables to a pasta dish.
- 20 jumbo pasta shells, cooked first, drained and cooled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1½ cups eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ¾ cup diced Zucchini & Yellow Squash
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes, with as little juice as possible
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups flavorful marinara sauce
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil (for cooking)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Italian 5-cheese blend (Parmesan, Fontina, Provolone, Asiago, Mozzarella) or any combo of these
- Extra Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (for topping)
How to Make Jumbo Stuffed Shells
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In boiling water, cook pre stuffed shells (8-10 minutes),
- Drain and let them cool to the touch.
- While the shells cool, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant and bell pepper; sauté 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini, squash, tomato, garlic and chickpeas; sauté 2 minutes, stirring as needed
- Remove pan from heat; stir in 1 cup marinara, ½ cup basil, salt & pepper
- Spread remaining 3/4 cup marinara over bottom of baking dish.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons vegetable mixture into each stuffed shell.
- Arrange filled shells in dish; sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake at 450°F for 12 minutes, uncovered, so the cheese melts
- Top Stuffed Shells with remaining 2 tablespoons basil.
Cooking Secrets for Men
“Cooking Secrets for Men” has recently been listed as one of the Top 30 Men’s Cooking Websites and Blogs on the Internet. You can read that article here and see where we rank for Men’s Cooking Websites.
If you like our Jumbo Stuffed Shells you should try My Dad’s Italian Meatball Recipe
(Free) Just released – E-Cookbook Vol 3 – Appetizers now available for free download at this link
E-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. The next e-Cookbook will be Vol 4 – Pasta!, which will be written in English and Italian.
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. And at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org