Irish Stew in the Instant Pot with Guinness – Today we are celebrating St Patrick’s Day with some Instant Pot Irish Stew, with Guinness.
Irish Stew in the Instant Pot
This stew is one of those Famous Irish Recipes #stpatricksday #guinness A typical Beef stew usually takes about 2.5 hours on the stovetop, but doing it in the instant pot it can be done in under 45 minutes.
Irish Soda Bread with Irish Stew
We are serving this Irish stew with Irish Soda Bread. This classic stick-to-your-ribs stew is the ideal project for a chilly weekend. Beef, onion, carrots, and potatoes come together very well.
And don’t forget the Guinness. So, here is our version of Irish Stew in the Instant Pot.
What kind of beer goes in Irish Stew?
The not-so-secret ingredient that goes into Irish Stew that gives the sauce the deep flavor and color is Guinness Beer, Extra Stout.
Extra Stout Guinness Beer is so dark it is almost black and it’s why the stew is such a deep brown color. Guinness is also much richer than most beers, which you can see just by looking at the thick creamy head that Guinness is famed for.
Guinness Extra Stout Beer
From the Guinness website – Every Guinness you’ve ever enjoyed can be traced back to this recipe. A direct descendant of our archival recipes, Guinness Extra Stout is based on a beer first brewed in 1821, when Arthur Guinness II set down precise instructions for brewing his Superior Porter. Sharp and crisp to the taste with the trademark Guinness flavors at its core.
It’s been over 200 years since this family favorite was born and, as Guinness moves forward, it’s safe to say history accompanies us in every bottle still enjoyed by people all over the world.
For Guinness Extra Stout, we are eternally grateful.
- Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1.5 lbs beef stew meat cut into 1-in chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup Guinness beer or other dark stout beer
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 tsp thyme
- 1.5 lbs russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 lb carrots peeled and cut into 1-in chunks
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Chopped parsley for topping
- Heat oil in the instant pot using SAUTE function.
- Add beef cubes and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear the beef, turning until golden brown.
- Add onions to beef and sauté 3-4 minutes until onions soften
- Add tomato paste, brown sugar, and garlic and sauté 1 another minute until fragrant.
- Turn off SAUTE function.
- Pour Guinness and beef broth into an instant pot.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, potatoes, and carrots.
- Secure the lid in place on the instant pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure by moving the vent open.
- Unscrew the lid and discard the bay leaf.
- Ladle out 1/4 cup of the stew liquid into a small bowl
- Quickly whisk the flour in the bowl until smooth.
- Pour the flour mixture back into the beef stew and stir until the stew is thickened about 1-2 minutes.
- When ready to serve, ladle beef stew into bowls and top with parsley.
Cooking Secrets for Men
If you like this recipe for Instant Pot Irish Stew, then you should try our recipe for Colcannon
Unpaid by the Following Companies
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Mullen’s Applesauce – www.mullenfoods.com/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(It’s Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org