Easy Tacos and Quesadillas – Today we are helping a novice cook learn the basics of Easy Tacos and Quesadillas. Father Tim Kitzke from here in Milwaukee, wanted to learn to cook and make some simple, easy-to-prepare recipes that can be repeated. I suggested we cook Easy Tacos and Quesadillas. The recipes and grocery lists can be seen below.
Fr Tim is currently pastor at 4 parishes in Milwaukee. In addition to the role of the rector of the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist Parish, the “Mother Church” of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, Fr Tim has been appointed the Vicar General for Urban Ministry in Milwaukee. He is my guest for “Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders”.
Our series, Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders was recently profiled in Milwaukee Magazine – https://www.milwaukeemag.com/this-cooking-show-features-milwaukee-community-leaders/
Easy Tacos and Quesadillas Grocery List
- Sauteed onions and peppers (any color bell pepper you like) In the Fresh produce area. (sauté them in a little oil until soft)
- Lettuce if you like. In the Fresh produce area
- Guacamole – Fresh, pre-made Guac is usually in the same area as the bags of lettuce, which would be where the produce is.
- Tortillas. There are many sizes. I prefer 6” flour tortillas (In the International/Hispanic aisle). You can freeze them when not used. They can be defrosted in the microwave (20 seconds) between two paper towels.
- Salsa – I Like Newman’s Mild Salsa (In the International /Hispanic aisle)
- Can of black beans. Get Kroger brand with the pull top. Season with either cumin or just salt and pepper
- If you want rice, buy “Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice”, 90 seconds in the microwave. Brown rice is healthy, but also you white rice
- Shredded Cheese. Cheese is in the dairy area, with milk, eggs, etc. I would buy the Kroger brand. There are many choices – Taco Cheese, Southwest, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc. Whichever variety of cheese you choose, it will keep for a while in the fridge.
- Taco Seasoning. Packages are usually near the spice section
Easy Quesadilla Instructions
- Slice the onions and peppers. It’s better to leave them in long slices, so are easier to handle when you put them on top of the tortillas.
- Heat some oil, and then sauté the sliced veggie, for 5 minutes or so, until soft
- In a separate pan, turn the heat to medium, and place one tortilla in the hot pan.
- While the tortilla is heating in the pan, place the sauteed veggies in the center of the tortilla.
- Top the veggies with cheese
- Put another tortilla on top of the veggies/cheese
- Carefully flip the quesadilla over and let the other side get a little browned.
- Cut into 6-8 pieces, use guacamole or salsa as a garnish.
Instructions for easy tacos
- Heat a sauté pan and brown the ground turkey, until all the pink has been cooked out. No real need to use oil.
- Empty the taco seasoning on the cooked meat. If too dry, add a little water.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave between two paper towels for 15 seconds
- Heat the beans and or rice if using either.
- Serve with whatever accompaniments you like.
Cooking With Milwaukee Community Leaders
I do a short interview with my guest, talk about their work in the community, and then cook something at our condo building. They pick whatever we will cook and I act as their sous chef. Here are some examples of “Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders” videos on YouTube:
Milwaukee Mayor Cavalier Johnson – Copycat McDonald’s Breakfast Sandwiches Video is at – https://youtu.be/eWkN4nI5ueE
Ricardo Diaz (Former Exec Director of UCC) Interview – Cuban Tostones and Plantains Recipe – Video is at https://youtu.be/49u0OR7fa8s
Joanne Anton, Director of Giving, Herb Kohl Philanthropies Interview – Spanakopita Video is at – https://youtu.be/8IKtZAguLv4
Cecelia Gore, Executive Director Brewers Community Foundation – Stetson Salad Video is at – https://youtu.be/_bbXPP_JzAo
Mark Mone, Chancellor, Univ or Wisconsin Milwaukee – Chicken Parmesan – Video is at – https://youtu.be/SS1KUGo31Xg
David Crowley, Milwaukee County Exec – Chicken Parm Sandwiches and Roasted Broccoli – Video is at – https://youtu.be/O2vQJtUv4OI
Brian Gotter, Major Gifts Officer MACC Fund – Sausage Gravy & Biscuits – Video is at – https://youtu.be/0Jb6J7bXaWM
Randy Bryant, Exec Director Ten Chimneys – Mango Gazpacho – Video is at – https://youtu.be/lN-U9EdARF8
Judge Derek Mosley, Director of Marquette Univ Law School – Stuffed, roasted red peppers – Video is at https://youtu.be/VDtpylMOcJY
Cooking Secrets for Men
We were featured in “Milwaukee Magazine” May 2023 edition, called “Civic Gastronomy”. Here is the link – https://www.milwaukeemag.com/this-cooking-show-features-milwaukee-community-leaders/
Then a few days later, they were discussing me on the radio. It is a local Foodie show – “This Bites”, where my series “Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders” is discussed (it’s in the first few minutes of the show) https://radiomilwaukee.org/podcast/this-bites/2023-05-26/milwaukee-celebrity-cooking-show.
Unpaid by the following companies
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20)
Mullen’s Applesauce – www.mullenfoods.com/
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
Nakano Knives – https://nakano-knives.com/cookingsecretsformen
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(It’s Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org