Pasta with Sausage, White Beans and Mustard Greens – I wanted to post a recipe that my wife made for me the first time she cooked me dinner. It was almost 30 years ago while we were just starting to date. The recipe itself is a good one and has become a family favorite over the years.
But the real reason I wanted to post this particular recipe was to point out that you can put just about anything on pasta (or pizza). The list of now-accepted pizza toppings includes Pineapple, Buffalo Chicken, Kale, literally any cheese, sweet & savory combinations, etc. Pasta is no different. Pasta Primavera has become “clean out the fridge” pasta. This recipe illustrates the point that you can put just about anything on pasta.
With that as a backdrop, please enjoy the following pasta dish, first made for me by my wife in 1990 with a recipe she got from her older brother, Donald.
Pasta with White Beans, Sausage and Mustard Greens
- Pot for boiling pasta
- Large Sauté pan
- 1 lb. Frozen mustard greens you can substitute fresh collard or Mustard greens, but frozen is much simpler.
- 1 box medium pasta shells penne works well with this dish also
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb sausage I use Jimmy Dean’s sausage roll, but any flavored pork (or turkey sausage will do)
- 15.5 oz can cannellini beans rinsed & drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Red pepper flakes optional
- Garlic Bread
- Defrost the frozen mustard greens and remove as much moisture as possible.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, in salted boiling water, until just al dente. Do not drain, you may be using the pasta water for the sauce
- While the pasta cooks, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Break up any larger pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add mustard greens to the sausage
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cannellini beans and fold into the sausage and greens mixture.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet, toss to coat.
- As you are folding the mixture together, the pasta with continue to absorb some of the liquid that is in the skillet.
- If the pan becomes too dry, add a ladle full of hot pasta water
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Most sausage will have a decent amount of spices already. Red Pepper flakes and/or garlic salt can be added if desired.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve with Garlic Bread
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
(Free) Just released – e-Cookbook Vol 3 – Appetizers now available for free download. e-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” is available for download. E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available on the same download page. Also free! The next e-Cookbook will be Vol 4 – Pasta!
If you liked our recipe for Pasta with Sausage, White Beans, and Mustard Greens, you should try our recipe for Broiled Flank Steak. Or another great pasta recipe is Shrimp Pomodoro. And here is a subscriber suggestion, Tortellini in Broth
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. And at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com
7 thoughts on “Pasta with Sausage and more… Video”
That’s a great combo of ingredients, nicely flavoured and prepared!
This is the first meal that my wife ever cooked for me and I have loved it ever since.
What a wonderful recipe. I do love your blog and and YouTube videos. Keep up the great work