Chicken Thighs with Red Cabbage. I have been making this dish for many years, dating back to the mid-’90s. There used to be a column in the Washington Post Food section called “On The Fridge- Dinner Tonight”. It is now called Dinner-in-Minutes, but the concept is the same. Easy, quick recipes that can be made on a weeknight, with little prep work.
It’s a great fall recipe, with cabbage and apple cider as two of the main ingredients. Throw in red onions and red wine vinegar, and you can understand why we call this “The Red Chicken Dinner”.
First, you pan-sear the chicken to crisp up the skin, then braise it nestled in a pan full of red cabbage and red onion, red wine vinegar, with a pinch of sugar, along with apple cider.
This recipe is great for your busy weeknights because it’s all made in 30 minutes and uses one pot only. With lots of protein and fresh veggies, this chicken thigh and cabbage dish is filling and delicious.
Made with simple ingredients, this one pan meal is gluten, dairy, and nut free. It’s low-carb and fits great with the paleo and Whole30 eating plans. It makes healthy eating super easy with meal prep.
What is the best type of cabbage for this dish?
There are more than a dozen varieties of cabbage, but some work better in this chicken and cabbage dish than others. Try any of these:
- Red cabbage- this is a little tougher if you want it to maintain a more crisp texture. It is my preferred cabbage for this recipe.
- Cannonball cabbage- these are the typical green cabbages found in the grocery store
- Napa cabbage- if you like something a little sweeter and not as crisp
- Large sauté pan with cover
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 small head of red cabbage cored and sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup apple cider
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Season chicken with the thyme, oregano, coriander, and salt & pepper
- Add the chicken and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, bring the onion, cabbage, vinegar and sugar to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the cabbage begins to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cider.
- Place the chicken on top of the cabbage mixture.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes.
- Internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees
- Serve with creamy polenta or mashed potatoes.
How do you cut cabbage?
Cabbage is very dense and can be intimidating to cut into even pieces. Once you know the method, your chicken and cabbage will be evenly cooked and will look amazing.
- Remove the outer leaves. Just pull off the ones that are loose and easy to remove.
- Quarter the head of cabbage.
- Each piece now has a bit of the core left. Use your paring knife to remove the tough core.
- Put your cabbage quarter cut side down on the cutting board and slice it horizontally into ribbons. You can make the ribbons as thick or thin as you like. For the chicken and cabbage dish, thicker is probably a little better than very thin slices.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
“Cooking Secrets for Men” has recently been listed as one of the Top 30 Men’s Cooking Websites on the Internet. You can read that article here. See where we rank for Men’s Cooking Websites.
If you liked our recipe for Chicken Thighs with Red Cabbage, try our recipe for Yorkshire Pudding. Or maybe you can try our recipe for Chicken Thighs with Lemons Capers and Olives.
Unpaid by the following companies –
Graeter’s Ice Cream – www.graeters.com
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Paradise Fruit Co – https://www.paradisefruitco.com/paradise-online-store/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) now available to download here
(Yes, Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 3 – “Appetizers” now available for free download at this link
(Free) – E-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” is available for free download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. Our next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
4 thoughts on “Chicken Thighs with Red Cabbage”
Great fall recipe, easy to make and ready in 30 minutes or so
Red cabbage is a favorite in our house. Yum!