Best Ever Instant Pot Beef Stew – This easy-to-make Instant Pot Beef Stew is sure to become one of your favorite Instant Pot recipes! Tender beef is simmered in a flavorful and hearty broth that’s packed with veggies! And we use Root Vegetables (turnips and parsnips) instead of potatoes.
I really enjoy my Instant Pot. I wanted to post a classic recipe, so here is a quick and easy beef stew. It tastes like it’s been simmering away for hours, but it really takes less than an hour and most of the hard work is done in the Instant Pot. Another great recipe that is relatively cheap to make.
Tips for success with The Best Ever Instant Pot Beef Stew:
- Sear the meat first. Searing the beef instead of just tossing everything in the Instant Pot produces a much more flavorful stew.
- Natural release the Instant Pot for the best results. It’s a best practice to naturally release when you have really hot boiling liquids, such as this stew.
- Make sure you add the cornstarch/cold-water mixture while the stew is still hot for the best thickening.
Root Vegetables instead of Potatoes
I think root vegetables (parsnips and turnips) give this dish, and quite frankly, most dishes a depth of flavor not found with potatoes. Root vegetables are low in calories and high in antioxidants. Each one contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Some have nutrients in surprisingly high amounts, like calcium in turnips.
Parsnips and turnips are very nutritious. They have high vitamin content (parsnips have lots of vitamin C, turnips have a lot of vitamin A) and are relatively low-calorie, and are lower-carb alternatives to other root veggies like potatoes. But potatoes will work just as easily in this dish.
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast cut into 1½ inch cubes
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 lb carrots cut into ½ inch pieces (no need to peel)
- 2 Turnips peeled and chopped
- 2 Parsnips peeled and chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 8oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add half of the beef in a single layer, and season with salt & pepper
- Let the beef cook untouched for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and continue searing, about 4 additional minutes.
- Transfer the seared meat to a separate plate. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pot and sear the remaining beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the second batch of browned beef to the plate with the first batch of seared beef.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil and the onion to the Instant Pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften and browns, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the Instant Pot. Cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beef broth and use a spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the carrots, turnips, parsnips, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, thyme, and the browned beef.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes,
- When finished pressure cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Vent to release any remaining pressure, then open the lid.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water to create a slurry.
- Add to the Instant Pot and stir until the stew thickens.
- Add the peas and stir to warm through.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh parsley.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Unpaid by the following companies
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(It’s Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com