Leland Whitefish, from Lake Michigan), is a simple dish, that comes together in under 10 minutes. You make the topping, broil the whitefish and eat a delicious meal. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
Where to buy Whitefish in Leland
In Leland, we buy our Leland Whitefish at Carlson’s Fishery (http://www.carlsonsfish.com/). Located at 205 River St, Leland, MI 49654. Phone number is (231) 256-9801. It’s the best in town. They also sell fish sausage, which is actually very good.
This recipe will work with just about any fish. So, we are in Leland, we use Lake Michigan Whitefish. But it will work just as well with tilapia, mahi-mahi or barrmundi. I would not try this with salmon, however.
On the site https://eatwisconsinfish.org/ they say Lake whitefish is considered to have the finest flavor of any commercial fishes. It contains higher omega-3 fatty acid (EPA and DHA) than Atlantic cod. And the fact that it cooks so quickly is a bonus.
Whitefish are at their peak in colder weather, when the meat tends to be firmer and fattier. The mild flavor is more like salmon than trout. The flesh is medium-firm with a large flake.
A Special Thanks to my guest chef, my wife, Ellen Gilligan, who appears in the video. We have used this recipe many times over the years. It was originally served at the Leland Lodge (https://www.lelandlodge.com/). You find find the topping compliments the whitefish perfectly. It an easy recipe to follow.
- 2-3 whitefish pieces
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your broiler to high
- Combine the Mayo, Cheese, green onions and lemon juice, to form a paste. Salt & Pepper the whitefish.
- Place your fish on a aluminum foil lined baking sheet or pan. (easier for cleanup).
- Slather the mayo/Parmesan paste on the whitefish
- Broil for 5-6 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish.
- Remove from the heat when cooked thru, then cut into serving size pieces. This should be served hot.
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com