Crispy Chicken Sandwich & Peter Feigin Interview – The Cluckery Chicken Sandwich is Crispy Chicken Tenders and pickles drizzled with MECCA Sauce on a brioche Bun. And served with Cole slaw. The MECCA is a Sports Bar in the Deer District near the Bucks arena, Fiserv Forum.
Our guest for Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders is Peter Feigin, the President of the Milwaukee Bucks. Our series, Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders was recently profiled in Milwaukee Magazine.
Peter has helped transform the Bucks into the Championship contender they are today. He shows us how they make the Cluckery Chicken Sandwich and the MECCA Sauce. This classic sandwich features crispy, juicy fried chicken topped with tangy MECCA Sauce and pickles, nestled between two soft buns.
Popeye’s, Wendy’s, Burger King, and McDonald’s are the big names when it comes to crispy chicken sandwiches. But the reality is it’s even better when you make it at home.
Why this Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipe Works
- Buttermilk-marinated chicken breasts are very flavorful and tender.
- Other than the marinating time, you can make these sandwiches in under 30 minutes.
- The chicken is made with a great combination of seasoning and dipped in a one-step breading station that includes flour and panko bread crumbs.
- It is then fried to perfection for delicious crispiness.
- Let’s not forget the MECCA sauce! It is a tangy, spicy compliment to the Crispy Chicken Sandwich.
Mecca Sauce Ingredients (blend all in a blender)
- 8 oz sour cream
- ¾ cup mayo
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dill
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
- Heavy bottom pan for frying
For the Marinade
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning or similar
For the Breading
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt & black pepper
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 4 cups Oil for frying
Instructions – Marinate the Chicken
- In a large plastic bag or bowl, combine the chicken tenders and the marinade ingredients.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken until it is fully coated, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour, overnight if possible.
Bread the Chicken
- Before breading the chicken, heat 4 cups peanut oil to 350°F. in a heavy bottom pan
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour & breading ingredients
- Toss together with a fork until well combined, then drizzle in 3 tbsp buttermilk and stir until the mixture is clumpy.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the marinade a few at a time and place them into the breading mixture.
- Press the chicken firmly into the breading so that the clumps of panko and buttermilk stick to the chicken.
Fry the Chicken
- Set up a wire rack as a draining station for the chicken.
- When to oil has reached 350°F, put a the chicken tenders in the oil in one layer.
- Don’t put them on top of each other or overcrowd the pan.
- Cook the tenders until golden brown.
- If needed, flip over and cook until the second side is also golden.
- Place the cooked tenders on the rack to drain.
- Repeat and fry the rest of the chicken tenders in batches.
- Toast the buns of desired
- Assemble the sandwiches, with a couple of pickles, 2-3 tenders and MECCA Sauce drizzled on top.
- Serve with Cole Slaw
Cooking Secrets for Men
We were featured in “Milwaukee Magazine” May 2023 edition, called “Civic Gastronomy”. Here is the link – https://www.milwaukeemag.com/this-cooking-show-features-milwaukee-community-leaders/
Then a few days later, they were discussing me on the radio. It is a local Foodie show – “This Bites”, where my series “Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders” is discussed (it’s in the first few minutes of the show) https://radiomilwaukee.org/podcast/this-bites/2023-05-26/milwaukee-celebrity-cooking-show.
Unpaid by the following companies
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20)
Mullen’s Applesauce – www.mullenfoods.com/
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
Nakano Knives – https://nakano-knives.com/cookingsecretsformen
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(It’s Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download.
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org