Pan-Seared Halibut with Lemon Caper Sauce – Halibut is easy to cook. This pan-seared halibut recipe with lemon, capers, white wine, and butter sauce takes less than 20 minutes. Pan-seared halibut is a healthy protein to whip up on a busy weeknight.
Follow these steps to have a stress-free meal while cooking your Pan-Seared Halibut.
- Use paper towels to pat the halibut fillets dry. This helps ensure even browning.
- Use equal-sized fish fillets. This helps with even cooking times.
- Sprinkle the fish (and all proteins) generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in a large skillet.
- Add the fish in a single layer, and sear, without moving, for 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully flip over, and sear for another 2-4 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Like most white fish, halibut cooks quickly and has a sweet, mild taste. Adding butter, garlic, lemon, white wine, parsley, salt, and pepper help elevate the flavor of the halibut, or any white fish. The mild flavor is neutral enough to serve with many different side dishes.
Once you add the fish to the hot pan, it should only take 3-4 minutes of cooking time on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the other side. Immediately remove the fish from the pan once it’s finished cooking to prevent it from turning rubbery.
As your mother said, please don’t play with your food. You only want to flip each piece of fish once. The more you move it, the more it will break apart.
Parsley makes a difference for Pan-Seared Halibut
Make sure you buy Italian Flat Leaf Parsley. There are two different kinds of parsley sold in grocery stores. Curly parsley has little flavor and is typically only used for garnishes.
- No Special Equipment
- 1- pound fresh halibut skinned and cut into two equal portions
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 3-4 slices of lemon
- 2 tsp fresh garlic finely chopped
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp capers drained
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Season fish with salt & pepper
- In a med skillet, on medium, heat 2 tbsp of butter & the olive oil
- Once the butter starts to brown, add the fish top side down.
- Sprinkle the side facing up with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes then gently flip over
- Cook the other side of the fish for 3-4 minutes
- Remove the fish from the pan, but keep it close by
- Add the lemon slices to the pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes
- While you cook the lemons, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add the wine and let evaporate.
- Then add the lemon juice, capers, and parsley.
- Cook for a minute then remove from heat and stir in 2 tbsp of butter
- Put the fish back into the pan, bring the heat to medium, and spoon the sauce over the top
- Cook for 30 seconds then move to a platter and serve.
- Serve with a cooked lemon slice and some pan sauce.
Cooking Secrets for Men
We were featured in “Milwaukee Magazine” May 2023 edition, called “Civic Gastronomy”. Here is the link – https://www.milwaukeemag.com/this-cooking-show-features-milwaukee-community-leaders/
Then a few days later, they were discussing me on the radio. It is a local Foodie show – “This Bites”, where my series “Cooking with Milwaukee Community Leaders” is discussed (it’s in the first few minutes of the show) https://radiomilwaukee.org/podcast/this-bites/2023-05-26/milwaukee-celebrity-cooking-show.
Unpaid by the following companies
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 The Discount code is in the link.
Mullen’s Applesauce – www.mullenfoods.com/
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
Nakano Knives – https://nakano-knives.com/cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(It’s Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 5 – Poultry and Chicken ready to download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page.
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org