Blistered Shishito peppers- Shishito peppers are small, slender, and thin-walled. About one out of every ten peppers is spicy. It will blister and char easily compared with thicker-skinned bell peppers.
The hardest part about cooking Shishito peppers is actually finding them in a grocery store. Higher-end stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Fresh Fields, and most Asian markets should carry them. They are a wonderful treat, easy to prepare, ready in minutes.
Cooking Shishito Peppers
The key to great roasted Shishito peppers is quick cooking. The quicker the better. You want charred blisters on all sides and a texture that is still fairly firm. Cook the peppers too slowly or at lower heat and they tend to wilt and become too soft before they develop charred spots.
- No Special Equipment
Easy Dipping Sauce
- 2 tsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Sour Cream
- 1 tsp sriracha Sauce or as much as you like
- Splash of Lime juice or lime zest if desired
For the Peppers
- 2 dry pints Shishito peppers
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Make the dipping sauce first
- Combine Mayo, sour cream and Sriracha sauce. Let it sit while you cook the peppers.
- Heat the skillet on medium.
- Place the peppers in a mixing bowl. Drizzle them with cooking oil and a healthy sprinkle of salt, rather than heating oil in the skillet.
- This trick also reduces the amount of oil on the pan, which means there’s less oil to overheat.
- Transfer the peppers to the heated skillet. The peppers should start to sizzle immediately.
- Continue cooking and stirring every minute or two until the peppers are blistered and darkened all over, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- The peppers are best when eaten within minutes of coming off the heat. Serve with simple sriracha dipping sauce.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
(Free) e-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” just released and available for download. e-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available on the same download page. Also free! Volume 3 (Appetizers) will be out soon.
If you liked our recipe for Blistered Shishito Peppers, you should try our recipe for Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Onions.
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions” or at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. Contact me if you are interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration.
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com
5 thoughts on “Blistered Shishito Peppers”
I am enjoying reading your blog. One of these days I’m actually going to try some of these delicious looking recipes! I love your photos, also.
Thanks Donna. Will see you guys in November
Very Simple Recipe