As we wind up our Chicken Thigh series, we are grilling some Jerk Boneless thighs. Grilled Jerk chicken is a dish that Jamaica is famous for, although it is made across the Caribbean.
Jamaican jerk is a blend of spices including scallions, garlic, ginger and thyme, along with allspice (called pimento in the islands), black pepper and clove, but gets an even bigger kick from the very hot Scotch bonnet peppers. Similar to habanero chiles, you can use those or jalapenos with some added crushed red peppers in a pinch.
You can certainly grill it like they do in Jamaica, but this easy recipe works just as well in the oven.
- 2 – 4 Boneless Chicken thighs, cut in half
- 1 large bunches scallion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers minced (or Jalapenos)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons White wine or cider vinegar
- Juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- Cut boneless chicken thighs in half and place in container for marinating
- Add all ingredients into the container with the chicken.
- Toss the jerk seasoning with the chicken thighs
- Marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours, covered or sealed in a bag
- Preheat the grill
- Grill until cooked through, about 10 minutes, turning once. Temperature should be at least 160 when you take the off the grill.
- Serve with a little chopped cilantro and rice
Visit and “like” our YouTube Videos on our YouTube Channel