Easy Shrimp Creole is a classic Louisiana recipe. It’s spicy, and has a chunky tomato mixture that coats shrimp to make a hearty meal perfect for Mardi Gras! This Cajun meal cooks in one pot and mixes all the ingredients quickly and easily.
The shrimp are simmered in a spicy tomato sauce. Serve the Shrimp Creole over white rice. Garnish with parsley and green onions.
For Mardi Gras in 2020, we made Jambalaya (https://youtu.be/XomeoU55srk) and in 2021, we made Gumbo (https://youtu.be/ofowytKVgK0). Both recipes are available on our YouTube channel and here on our recipe website.
Easy Shrimp Creole
This year, in keeping with our Mardi Gras tradition, we are making this very Easy Shrimp Creole. It’s not a difficult recipe, but it is full of flavor. And don’t forget to pick up a King Cake for your Mardi Gras celebration.
The Holy Trinity
Celery, bell peppers, and onion are essential to creating the flavors typically found in Cajun and Creole recipes.
What is the difference between Easy Shrimp Creole and Shrimp Etouffee?
The main difference between Shrimp Etouffee and Easy Shrimp Creole is that shrimp etouffee, which is orangish to the brownish-colored dish, has a thicker sauce. Shrimp creole is a reddish-colored dish that has a thinner sauce.
What is Creole sauce made of?
You make Creole sauce with tomatoes, the Cajun holy trinity (celery, bell peppers, and onions), garlic, seasonings, and herbs. Chicken Stock is also used and seasoned with cayenne, hot sauce, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, thyme, and parsley.
- Large Pot or Dutch Oven
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bag Frozen Okra
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined no tails
- Your favorite Louisiana style hot sauce
- White Rice
- Green onions as garnish
- In a large pan or Dutch oven add the olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add The Holy Trinity – green bell pepper, onion, celery – and cook until tender.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute
- Add in tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Toss in the frozen okra
- Add shrimp and cover and let simmer for about 5-7 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Remember to remove the bay leaves
- Top with green onions
- Serve with white rice and your favorite hot sauce
Cooking Secrets for Men
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download here
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. Our next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com