This easy Chicken Tikka Masala cooks on the stovetop. It tastes just like your favorite Indian take-out. It can be ready in under an hour. This recipe is my son Luke’s take on Tikka.
What is Tikka Masala?
The Chicken marinates in a spicy curry sauce and cooked with tomatoes, spices, and heavy cream. You should use thighs instead of breasts. It’s great served with rice.
Chicken Tikka Masala vs Butter Chicken
It’s easy to confuse these two Indian dishes. The main difference between them is with the amount of tomato and cream in each. A butter chicken is creamier with less tomato in the base. The tikka masala has more tomato and less cream.
If there’s one dish guaranteed to be on every Indian restaurant menu, it’s chicken tikka masala. It’s made with chunks of chicken cooked in a spicy, creamy tomato sauce.
No one really knows the origination of Tikka Masala. Some say India, others in the UK. Even Scotland has some claim to it’s origination.
We are pretty sure it started out as butter chicken. Butter chicken turned into chicken tikka masala when restaurant chefs started using boneless tandoori chicken kebabs (tikka masala) in order to meet the demand for the dish. However it started, people do love it all over the world.
- A Wok
Marinade in fridge for at least 10 minutes
- 1 lb Chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice half lemon
- 1 tsp salt
Marinade part 2: 10 minutes more
- 1 Tbsp Garam marsala
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp Yogurt
To Cook the Chicken
- 3 Tbsp Ginger chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 14 oz can pureed tomatoes
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Chopped Cilantro for Garnish
- Marinate the chicken in lemon juice and salt for 10 minutes
- Add spices for “Marinade #2” to chicken. Marinate for 10 more minutes
- Heat Peanut oil in pan on medium
- Add sliced onion, cook 2-3 min
- Add ginger and chopped chilies jalapeño cook 30 seconds
- Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, cook 1 minute
- Add the following spices – 1 Tsp garam marsala, 1 Tsp curry powder, 1/2 Tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/2 Tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, pinch of cayenne – cook 1 minute
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar – cook 15 seconds
- Add 1 Tbsp tomato paste in a hot spot
- 14 oz. can pureed tomatoes
- Bring to boil, then simmer 2 – 3 min
- Pour everything in blender and blend well
- Heat 1 tbsp oil, then sauté chicken until lightly browned
- Add sauce from blender and coat chicken
- Add 3/4 cup heavy cream, Simmer at least 10 min
- Garnish with cilantro
- Serve over basmati rice with naan
Cooking Secrets for Men
Our e-Cookbook, Vol 1 “Sauces” is free and available to download. You can find it here. Vol 2 “Soups”, should be out soon.
If you liked our recipe for Tikka Masala, you should try our recipe for The Best Shrimp Curry recipe
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to publish it and give you the credit. Just go to this link “Submit your own recipes” or at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org