Spicy Asian Spaghetti Squash – How this recipe came about.
We have a friend in Leland Michigan named Bob “Boomer” Biggs. He maintains a vegetable garden north of town on his property on Lake Michigan. The fenced in space is fairly large. The level of variety in his garden is amazing. Especially for one of the top home builders in Northern Michigan, who is among the busiest people I know.
He has 20+ tomato plants (several different types) growing in cages. There are 5 or 6 basil plants that look like large bushes. He has carrots, beets, multiple types of peppers, cauliflower, lettuce and so on. You get the picture.
During one sojourn up to Boomer’s garden, we (my son Luke & I) picked some very fresh vegetables. Towards the back on the garden, we spied several large yellow items. We determined they were Spaghetti squash. So we added that to our bag and headed back to our cottage.
But what to do with spaghetti squash? In the past, I have made spaghetti squash with red sauce, during my anti-carb phase. That’s ok, but to an Italian, it hardly replaces pasta.
Spicy Asian Spaghetti Squash
My son Luke being an excellent cook in his own right, suggested some sort of Asian flavored spaghetti squash. And he likes his food spicy (as does my other son, Carlo) so we came up with this Spicy Asian Spaghetti Squash recipe.
Please feel free to improvise and improve on this recipe. I would add matchstick carrots for a little color and texture. Maybe sauté some red peppers also for color and texture. Add Cilantro at the end. Lots of possibilities. Hope you enjoy this recipe that sprang from our friend Boomer’s garden.
- A Wok
- A microwave
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage omit for vegetarian dish
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 bag baby spinach
- Cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Stab several holes in the squash, like you are cooking a potato
- Cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave for 10 minutes. It should be soft when you take it out.
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat,
- Add the onions and ginger.
- Cook for five minutes, until it becomes fragrant and they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add the sausage and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks, and is slightly browned.
- Add the Sriracha, hoisin sauce and sesame oil and stir together. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds (Careful, it may be hot)
- Using a fork, scrape, scrape, scrape the inside of the squash to release the insides from the skin. You’ll see the squash form spaghetti-like strands as you do this
- Stir in the spaghetti squash in the pan
- Add the spinach and allow it to wilt, about 1 minute
- Top with cilantro and serve
Cooking Secrets for Men
Please “like” our YouTube Videos and follow us on our YouTube Channel. Cooking Secrets For Men is also on other Social Media sites Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.
Our e-Cookbook, Vol 1 “Sauces” is free and available to download. You can find it here. Vol 2 “Soups”, should be out soon.
If you liked this recipe for Spicy Asian Spaghetti Squash, you should try our recipe for Butternut Squash Soup. Or try our recipe for 2 minute sautéed spinach.
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to publish it and give you the credit. Just go to this link “Submit your own recipes” or at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2 thoughts on “Spicy Asian Spaghetti Squash”
Pretty easy to make