Chicken Curry with Potatoes – This is another recipe for those of us Sheltering in Place, that takes every day, basic ingredients (Chicken and potatoes) and makes them a little more interesting than roasting a chicken and baking some potatoes. This one-pot dish of Chicken Curry with Potatoes is fragrant and a little different than your typical weeknight recipe. Hope you enjoy and stay safe.
Marinade Ingredient for Chicken Curry:
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger root (or Ginger powder)
- 3 tablespoons curry power (or 1 tablespoon each cardamom, cumin, turmeric)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- One large yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 1-inch dice (parboil or microwave to soften)
- One 28-ounce can dice tomatoes, with juices
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- One tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- One 15 oz can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- OPTIONAL – 1 cup Frozen Green Peas
Directions for Chicken Curry with Potatoes
- For the marinade: In a resealable plastic bag, mix together the oil, curry powder, garlic, ginger, pepper and salt. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. The flavor is in the curry, so a long marinade is not necessary.
- While the chicken curry is marinating, either parboil or microwave the potatoes, until partially cooked. They will continue to cook in the curry, when added.
- For the curry: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, ginger, and jalapenos cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cook the garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the partially cooked potatoes, tomatoes, cinnamon, tomato paste and chicken stock; stir to combine.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, so it reduces slightly.
- Add the chicken. Cook, covered, until the potatoes are easily pierced, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook until the sauce of the Chicken Curry has thickened slightly, another 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve Chicken Curry over Basmati rice
- Optional – stir in 1 cup Frozen Green Peas, for a little color, texture and flavor For the Chicken Curry.
If you liked this recipe for Curried Chicken, then you should try our recipe for Smashed Potatoes