Here is a quick and easy dinner to cook for Valentine’s Day. It may look like you put in a lot of time and effort, but it can come together in about 10 minutes. This recipe and video is posted for those who want to impress your partner of Valentine’s Day, but may have limited cooking skills or experience.
It is a three-part presentation, with a nice piece of pan fried fish, on top of black beans, that is in turn on top of a bed of wilted spinach. Garnish with some lemon wedges and you have a very beautiful presentation of a very healthy, yet so simple to create.
For the Black Beans
- One 15oz can of Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock, added as needed
For the Spinach
- One 5oz bag of fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the Fish
- Two 6oz filet of white fish (Haddock, Cod, Tilapia, Sea Bass or other fish) – one for each of you
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon of Emerill’s Essence or similar seasoning
- If you have the space, heat three pans on medium heat, one each for the beans, fish and spinach. If not, cook one at a time, in the order below.
- Heat the oil in each pan over medium heat
- Empty the can of beans in a sauce pan, add cumin and about 2 tablespoons of chicken broth. Let the liquid cook down and add broth as needed. Let beans simmer until ready to serve.
- Heat the oil and butter in a saute pan and add the fish, over medium high heat. Add seasoning salt to the fish and cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes. Turn the fish over, add more seasoning salt to the other side and cook until done, about another 3 minutes
- In a large wok or large saute pan, heat the oil. Add the spinach at the last minute and stir to wilt. The spinach will be done in about one minute.
- To assemble, place the wilted spinach on the plate, place one serving of black beans on the spinach, and top the black beans with the fish.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and enjoy!