Coconut Chicken and Sticky Rice – Adapted from Kay Chun https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023047-sticky-coconut-chicken-and-rice. Today, we are making Coconut Chicken with Sticky Rice. Lots of flavors, and everything cooks in one pot.
Coconut Chicken and Sticky Rice
This chicken recipe features tasty coconut rice with ginger, garlic, and scallion, and is topped with roasted cashews and cilantro. The cashews soften as the rice steams, adding some nuttiness to the dish.
Chicken thighs absorb the coconut milk as they cook, which keeps the meat tender and juicy. Fresh chopped cilantro brightens the dish, to balance the creamy and rich rice.
Should I buy sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk?
Although coconut milk contains a hint of natural sweetness, most chefs say it is best bought unsweetened. If you’re making a dessert or drink on the sweet side, you can always add your own sugar. But you can’t take sugar out of a product it’s already mixed into.
Coconut milk is very versatile. It can be used in both sweet and savory recipes. In mostly dairy-free Thai cuisine, it adds creaminess and fat to many dishes. Thai sauces and dressings, curries and stews, puddings, and dessert soups. Coconut milk can work with a lot of different spices and complexities of flavor.
Check out our series Chicken Thighs vs Chicken Breasts
We compare and contrast Chicken Breasts and Thighs. Then we give you our favorite way to cook both parts. Check them out and see what you think.
- Dutch Oven or oven proof casserole pan
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups white rice
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- ½ cup roasted cashews coarsely chopped
- 3 scallions sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut chicken into 1" pieces
- Rub chicken with 1 tbsp of oil,
- Season chicken with salt & pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp of the oil over med heat.
- Working in batches, brown chicken, turning halfway, about 5 minutes per batch.
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil, ginger and garlic to the pot, and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add rice and stir until evenly coated in the oil.
- Add broth, coconut milk, bell pepper, cashews, scallions and salt & pepper
- Stir to get any browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Arrange chicken on top, with juices from the plate and bring to a boil over high.
- Cover and bake in oven until the liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes.
- Scatter cilantro over the chicken and rice, then divide among bowls.
Cooking Secrets for Men
If you like this recipe for Coconut Chicken and Sticky Rice check our recipe for Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Dipping Sauce.
Unpaid by the following companies –
Aloha Honey – https://alohahoney.farm/collections/all-products
Paradise Fruit Co – https://www.paradisefruitco.com/paradise-online-store/
Grillaholics – https://www.grillaholics.com/?ref=CSFM20 (Use Discount Code CSFM20 for all products)
Javy Coffee – https://javycoffee.com/collections/javy
ChefsTemp Thermometers – https://www.chefstemp.com/product/finaltouchx10-meat-thermometer/?tw=cookingsecretsformen. The Discount code is in the link.
E-Cookbooks for free Download
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 4 – “Pasta” (written in English and Italian) is now available to download.
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. Our next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. It is at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
We are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me. And, send me one of your aprons. I’ll wear it and promote your channel and merchandise.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org