Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs the “Cooking Secrets for Men” way. Our trick – start it in the oven and finish it on the grill.
There are lots of things to love about chicken thighs, that is why so many people love them. The meat is delicious, moist, and flavorful because the fat keeps it that way. And it is hard to overcook. With one simple tip, baking the chicken thighs first turns out perfect every time. We cook them with the skin on which ensures they never dry out.
But thighs can be easy to undercook. The minimum temperature for fully cooked chicken is 165 degrees. But sometimes when grilling, you think you nailed it. But when you serve them, some thighs have pink near the bone, or worse, it’s a little raw. Try our way to avoid that embarrassment.
When we talk about the flavor, chicken thighs are a clear winner! Chicken thighs have an intense flavor because they are dark meat. Whereas, boneless and skinless white meat of breasts, when cooked, can turn out to be dry and chewy. It might need extra herbs and oils to enhance the taste and fix the dryness.
- Grill – Charcoal or Gas
- 4 bone in Chicken Thighs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Your favorite store-bought Bar-B-Que sauce
- Pre heat the oven to 375
- Salt and pepper both sides of the thighs
- Put BBQ sauce on each thigh and brush sauce on top to cover the skin
- Put in the oven (top 1/3 of the oven) and set timer for 35 minutes
- While the thighs are cooking in the oven, pre heat your grill
- At 30 minutes, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temp of the chicken. If they around 165 degrees, take them out. If not put back in until they reach 165.
- Take oven-cooked BBQ Chicken Thighs to grill. Place them skin side up for 1-2 minutes, until they get some grill marks
- Turn them over, skin side down, and cook for another minute or so.
You can serve these BBQ chicken thighs with a big green salad. Or a big pile of roasted veggies (cooked in the oven at the same time as the chicken) is another great option. Keep the veggies warm in the oven while you finish the thighs on the grill.
Cooking Secrets for Men
(Free) e-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” just released and available for download. e-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available on the same download page. Also free! Volume 3 (Appetizers) will be out soon.
If you like this article, you should read about the difference between Hanger Steak and Skirt Steak. Or you can see our technique for Grilled Butterflied Chicken
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to publish it and give you the credit. Just go to this link “Submit your own recipes” or at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. Contact me if you are interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org