Servings: 4 people
Feta Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh dill finely chopped
- ½ cucumber seeded and grated (or finely chopped)
- Kosher salt to taste
Lamb Burger Ingredients
- 1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 1 shallot or small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground lamb
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 red onion 1 sliced, for garnish
- 1 beefsteak tomato sliced, for garnish
- 2 cups baby spinach for garnish
- Feta Tzatziki Spread see recipe
- 4 pitas or 4 hamburger buns optional
For the Tzatziki Sauce
Combine the yogurt, feta, vinegar, garlic, mint, dill, salt and cucumbers in a bowl.
Refrigerate to let the sauce meld. Let sit for at least 1 hour at room temperature before serving with the Lamb Burger.
Directions for Lamb Burgers
Coat a large cast-iron pan with olive oil, toss in the diced onions and season with salt and crushed red pepper.
Bring the pan to medium-high heat and cook the onions for 3 to 4 minutes
Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn the heat off and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the lamb, the cooled onion mixture, the oregano, dill, mint, paprika and lemon zest. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and combine well.
Preheat the grill or cast iron pan
Form the lamb burger mixture into 4 equal patties and sprinkle with salt. (see notes on indenting the burgers with your thumb)
Cook the burgers 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Remove the lamb burgers from the grill and let rest for 3 to 4 minutes.
Cut the pitas in half. Put the Feta Tzatziki Sauce on the top bun
Put tomatoes, sliced onions and spinach on bottom. Place the lamb burger on top of these and serve.
Grill tip for burgers: using your thumb, make a little dent in the middle of the lamb burger patties.
The thumb print indent in the middle helps the patties keep their flat shape and cook more evenly.
Serving: 14 oz | Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 287mg | Vitamin A: 268IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 10.8mg | Iron: 2mg