Servings: 6 people
Ingredients for the roux (Optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oil vegetable or canola oil
For the gumbo:
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 bunch celery diced
- 2 Chicken thighs, boneless cut into 1” pieces
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning for the chicken
- 12 oz andouille sausage sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 cup chopped okra (OPTIONAL or use Frozen Okra)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Box Zatarain’s gumbo mix
- 4-5 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 cups raw shrimp tails off, deveined and shells off
- 1 green onion finely chopped for garnish
Gumbo - The Cooking Secrets for Men way
Heat oil on medium-high heat in Dutch oven or large pot
Add onion, bell pepper, and celery cook 3 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
Brown chicken thighs with vegetables
Season Chicken Thighs with Cajun Seasoning
Add Andouille sausage and stir to combine
Stir in Zatarain's Gumbo Mix and stock/or water
Bring to boil.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes.
During the last 5 minutes, stir in the raw shrimp and let the hot gumbo cook them
Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
Serve with cornbread
To Make a Roux (Not for this recipe)
In a large pot, combine flour and oil
You have to be careful to stir it constantly, on medium low heat, so that you don’t burn it.
It’s easy, but takes patience.
The darker the roux, the richer the flavor!
And we are not using a roux for this recipe
The less water/stock you add, the less thick the Gumbo will be. If it's too thick, just add a little water
Louisiana hot sauce for the hearty souls
Make your cornbread ahead of time
This recipe tastes even better the next day as the flavors have a chance to meld
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 464kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 1303mg | Potassium: 371mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 230IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 1.7mg