Servings: 4 people
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10 ounces smoked andouille sausage sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning see note below
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Box Zatarain’s Jambalaya
- 2.5 cups water or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound raw shrimp tails off peeled and de veined
- Sliced green onions and chopped parsley to garnish
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced okra
- 1 teaspoon file powder
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Sauté the onion, bell pepper and celery until onion is soft and translucent.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
Add the sausage and chicken pieces, season with the Cajun seasoning.
Sauté until chicken is cooked and no pink is showing
Stir in the crushed tomatoes and mix well
Add in the Zatarain’s rice mixture and water (or chicken broth), stir to mix,
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium.
Cover and let simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
With about 5 minutes left in the simmer of the rice, put the shrimp on top of the Jambalaya mixture, stir through gently and re-cover with lid. Shrimp should be done when the rice is done
Season with a little extra salt and pepper if needed and remove from heat.
Adjust heat with extra hot sauce, Cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning.
Serve with sliced green onions and parsley.
Cornbread is another side dish to serve with Jambalaya
Cajun seasoning, Everyone tends to have their own recipe but in general, it's a blend featuring lots of paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper and oregano.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 768kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 9.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 146mg | Sodium: 2524mg | Potassium: 831mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3.6g | Vitamin A: 794.1IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 3mg