Beef Barley Soup in the Instant Pot is a great way to enjoy a hearty and flavorful soup! It’s full of tender meat and vegetables and very satisfying!
It is made with chuck roast, whole-grain barley, fresh veggies, and a well-seasoned broth. My favorite thing to end a cold day with at dinner time is a steaming bowl of soup, like this one.
Beef Barley Soup In the Instant Pot
There’s just something about all those ingredients simmering together building up flavor, and serving it warm for sipping that creates a cozy dish like no other. It is true comfort food. And this one has a great blend of textures as well, with the tender beef and veggies, chewy barley, and the base of very flavorful beef broth.
- Chuck roast – is probably the best cut of beef for soups and stew. A fattier beef like chuck roast will be more tender. Other cuts of meat like rump are too lean and will end up chewy and a little dry. Brown the beef first, this adds a rich layer of flavor.
- Pearl barley – works great here. Medium barley is preferred, it’s just the right size
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs. chuck roast trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 7 cups beef broth for the Instant Pot Recipe
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Select “sauté” setting on Instant Pot.
- Add oil.
- Brown beef in 2 – 3 batches.
- Remove beef and sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes
- Turn to “off” setting.
- Return all beef to Instant Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, Soy Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato paste, rosemary and thyme to the Instant Pot
- Add 7 cups beef broth
- Cover and set valve to “sealing” position.
- Select High pressure and adjust time to 20 minutes.
- Once 20 minutes is up let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes
- Then carefully quick release any remaining pressure.
Cooking Secrets for Men
(Free) – E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available for free download
All of our e-cookbooks are available on our download page. The next e-Cookbook will be Vol 5 – Chicken & Poultry, and should be out soon!
You can submit your special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. And at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org