For years, I roasted beets, but they were time-consuming and messy. Peeling, slicing and everything including my fingers had a red stain on it. But finally, a friend showed me a better way to roast beets
Roasting transforms beets from something crunchy into something silky and tender. Roasted beets are simple as a side dish or in a salad. This recipe is an Arugula salad, with fresh roasted beets, toasted pine nuts, and feta cheese.
With this method, just scrub the beets well before roasting. No need to peel before or after baking. The perfectly edible skin just seems to disappear during the baking process. Just like carrots, potatoes, and eggplant, no need to peel before roasting.
Skip wrapping beets in foil before cooking. Instead, just toss the cleaned, dried beets with olive oil and salt, then place them in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake.
Bake at high heat: 425°F. Beets are dense, hardy, and can take the heat. Roast at high heat, 425°F., until a sharp knife easily slides into the center of the roasted beets and the skins pull away from the sides. This should take about 45 minutes for medium-size beets and 1 hour for larger beets.
- A mandoline would be nice, but not necessary
- 3 med beets, rinsed and dried
- 5 oz. baby arugula
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp pine nuts (can be toasted)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for roasting)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (for roasting)
Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (for Vinaigrette)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste (for Vinaigrette)
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Scrub the beets well with a vegetable brush under running water (no need to peel them at any point).
- Using a sharp knife, slice off the base of each beet to create a flat surface, and slice off the skinny pointy ends as well.
- Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the beets with the olive oil and sprinkle with ththe pan.
- Toss until the beets are evenly coated, then arrange them in a single layer across the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil
- Roast for 45 minutes, tossing halfway, until you’re able to pierce through the beets with a fork with light pressure.
- The skin should peel away easily; if it doesn’t, the beets likely need to cook for a little longer.
- Slice cooled beets to desired thickness
- Toast pine nuts in a skillet (no oil) if so desired
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper) and stir well to combine
- Place sliced beets on arugula
- spread crumbled Feta cheese on top of beets and argula
- spread pine nuts over the salad also
- Add Vinaigrette to the salad to taste. If not serving the salad right away, shake the Vinaigrette again just before drizzling over the salad.
Cooking Secrets for Men
(Free) Just released – e-Cookbook Vol 3 – Appetizers now available for free download. e-Cookbook Series Vol. 2 – “Soups & Stews” is available for download. E-Cookbook Vol 1 – “Sauces you’ll use – A lot”, is available on the same download page. Also free! The next e-Cookbook will be Vol 4 – Pasta!
If you like this subscriber recipe for Roasted Beet Salad, you should try our Mango and Black Bean Salad recipe.
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to recreate it and give you the credit. And make a YouTube Video. Just go to this link “Recipe & YouTube Suggestions”. And at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber.
And we are always looking to collaborate with other bloggers. If interested in a conversation about some sort of collaboration, please contact me.
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com