Spicy Quinoa and Sweet Potato Stew. This is part of our Recipe submission feature (https://cookingsecretsformen.com/submit-your-own-recipes/).
This recipe comes from my son, Luke, who has made this dish for us several times, when he was visiting. It is always nice to have a couple of great cooks in the family (Carlo IV that means you also). When visiting they don’t mind pitching in and cooking dinner occasionally. This is one of those recipes that has been prepared by Luke.
There’s nothing complicated in this quinoa and sweet potato stew recipe, everything is probably in your pantry right now. This meal is surprisingly hearty and filling. Even carnivores will like the taste of this vegetarian stew or chili.
- Large pot for soup or stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper minced
- 5-6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste.
- 1 ½ tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 15 oz cans Black Beans. Can substitute Kidney or Pinto beans. Or mix & match.
- 1 large Sweet Potato – peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup dried Quinoa.
- 1 15 oz can diced roasted Tomatoes with green chilies
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, ginger, jalapeno & cook until soft and, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute more.
- Sauté tomato paste in a hot spot in pan
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and oregano, and stir to mix
- Add quinoa, beans, diced tomatoes, sweet potato, and broth, stir until combined.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover slightly open and cook for 35 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- It is ready when sweet potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with your choice of chili-like toppings
What is Quinoa?
People ask “What is Quinoa?” Quinoa is a bit like brown rice crossed with oatmeal. It’s fluffy, creamy, crunchy and somewhat nutty, all rolled into one. It’s fairly versatile and can be prepared several different ways. It is gluten free. Vegetarians love it.
A cup of quinoa gives you twice the protein and about 5 grams more fiber than the same amount of white rice. Because of the higher quantity of protein and fiber, quinoa is not only the healthier choice, but will also fill you up faster, allowing for smaller portion sizes. This Quinoa and Sweet Potato stew is a good example.
We like you to submit your own special recipe here. We would love to publish it and give you the credit. Just go to this link “Submit your own recipes” at the top of our home page. Or click the link above.
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com