For my Vegetarian friends and subscribers, this Cuban Black Bean recipe is a fun dish that can be a main course. Serve over rice and you could add other veggies into the black bean mixture.
For you carnivores out there, it goes amazingly well with a Cuban Pork Tenderloin or similar main dish.
The Instant Pot is a really good kitchen appliance for cooking dried beans. Black beans cook tender inside, but they still hold their shape and don’t fall apart.
We will be making more Instant Pot recipes in the future. Hopefully the videos are a little more interesting in the future, as I learn how to use the Instant Pot as a prop.
- 1-pound bag dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- One medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers, multi colored if possible, because it makes a better presentation
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- One teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 dried Chili’s (such as Chili de Arbol or similar)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- chopped cilantro for garnish
Directions For Cuban Black Beans:
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Let it heat for 2 minutes.
- Add olive oil,
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and coriander.
- Stirring often, cook until aromatics are slightly tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, stock, and black beans.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover Instant Pot, and fasten lid.
- Lock and seal steam valve.
- Set to HIGH pressure for 37 minutes. (The pot will take about 15 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- When the cook time has ended, allow Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and turn off Instant Pot.
- Remove the bay leaves and Chili de Arbol and discard
- Spoon black beans and cooking liquid into bowls
- Top with cherry tomatoes and cilantro
- Serve over rice.
Our e-Cookbook, Vol 1 “Sauces” is free and available to download. You can find it here. Vol 2 “Soups”, should be out soon.
If you liked this recipe for Cuban Black Beans in the Instant Pot, then you should try our recipe for Chicken Curry and Potatoes
You can submit your own special recipe here. We would love to publish it and give you the credit. Just go to this link “Submit your own recipes” at the top of our home page. Or click the link above. Click the link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber
Comments or questions, please contact us at email@example.com