Zucchini Soup – If you missed Part One of “Soup’s On” you can click the link below. It talks about the wonderful tool known as an Immersion Blender and making creamy soups without Cream.
Zucchini is one of the most prolific vegetable of summer. It is very simple to puree a whole lot of it into a soup. This zucchini soup has great body simply from the sheer amount of zucchini that are in the recipe. There is no cream or starchy thickeners that we use, so it’s both healthy and efficient. It uses up all that zucchini gardeners tend to have on hand at the end of the summer. This Zucchini soup makes a nice lunch, a great start to a larger dinner, or the main part to a light supper with some crusty bread and a big salad served with the soup.
Zucchini Soup Ingredients
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick. (No need to peel the zucchini. It really doesn’t matter how you cut the zucchini since you’re cooking it until it’s very soft and then puréeing it.)
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock or broth (Non-vegetarians can use chicken broth or stock)
- Julienned raw zucchini, for garnish
How to Make Zucchini Soup
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Put the stock or broth and bring to a boil, and then a simmer; cook until the zucchini is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Using your immersion blender, purée soup. Make sure you point the blade of the blender down or away from you. Puree until creamy smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve Zucchini Soup hot, garnished with the julienned zucchini.
Adding & sautéing chopped ginger would be nice, also. I didn’t include in this recipe, because I didn’t want all of the soup recipes to have the same flavor base. Be creative and experiment with flavors you like.
Blender tip for Zucchini Soup
Steam expands quickly in a blender, and can cause ingredients to splatter everywhere or cause burns. To prevent this, fill the blender only one-third of the way up, vent the top, and cover with a folded kitchen towel while blending.
Cooking Secrets for Men
Our e-Cookbook, Vol 1 “Sauces” is free and available to download. You can find it here. Vol 2 “Soups”, should be out soon.
If you liked our recipe for Zucchini Soup, try our recipe for Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger
You can submit your own special recipe to us. We would love to publish it and give you the credit. Just go to this link “Submit your own recipes” or at the top of our home page. Click this link for an example of a Recipe Submission from a Subscriber
Comments or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org