This is another dish to make to impress your friends with your range of cooking skills. It is however, very easy and you can do other things in the kitchen while the risotto cooks in the microwave.
There are few comfort foods in the world that provide the savory creaminess as risotto. Yet for all its simplicity, risotto has gotten a bad rap as a difficult dish to cook and being work-intensive. In reality, it is actually very easy to produce wonderful risotto in a microwave.
Much of risotto’s unmerited reputation as a problematic food comes from risotto purists who think you should stand over a hot stove for 45 minutes, while stirring endlessly. As far as I’m concerned, risotto needs to only be two things: rich and savory. You can achieve this in a variety of ways and with endless combinations. There is no right way to make it.
Makes 4 servings (about 3 cups) / Prep: 10 Minutes / Cook: 22 Minutes
Basic Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion/Shallot/any onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (short-grain)
- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth (or Vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth (or Vegetable broth)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir the first 4 ingredients into a medium-size microwave-safe container/bowl. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes.
- Stir in the Arborio rice to coat it, and microwave on HIGH 2 minutes.
- Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Do not vent). Microwave on HIGH 9 minutes.
- Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering (to combine the mixture), and microwave on HIGH 8 minutes. (This step is where you would add veggies for the variations listed below.) Carefully remove and discard plastic wrap.
- Stir in cheese and 1/4 cup chicken broth (if needed), stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy.
- Add 1/4 cup additional broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately
Variations of the basic recipe –
Green Pea-and-Asparagus Risotto: Prepare Basic Microwave Risotto as directed. To prep, snap off and discard tough ends of 1/2 lb. of asparagus, and cut into 2-inch pieces. At step #4 above, stir in 1/2 cup frozen green peas and the cut prepared asparagus. At step #6, stir in 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint, 1 tsp. lemon zest, and 2 tsp. lemon juice into the cooked risotto.
Portobello-Spinach Risotto: Prepare Basic Microwave Risotto. Add 8-oz. sliced baby Portobello mushrooms in step #1 above, along with the 1st 4 ingredients. Stir in 3 cups firmly packed fresh spinach, at step #4. Follow the rest of the directions for steps 5 & 6 above.