Simple Salad Dressing – Making your own salad dressing (or Vinaigrette if you want to sound fancy) sounds like it might be complicated, but it’s actually pretty easy, with just a few ingredients you have on hand in your pantry.
The basic vinaigrette formula is simply 1 part vinegar to 3 parts olive oil. Nothing more complicated than that.
So, for your fancy homemade salad dressing/ vinaigrette, here’s what you need
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar (I would use either balsamic or red wine vinegar)
- Pinch of salt
- Some ground black pepper
Put ingredients in a small bowl, Wisk everything until smooth and toss with your salad. And it’s an easy thing you can make in front of your guests to impress them with your new-found chef skills.
And since Olive Oil and Vinegar can both sit in your pantry shelf by themselves, your home-made dressing will keep quite a while. If you like you can refrigerate, but this simple recipe will keep in the pantry.
Some suggestions once you get the hang of the simple salad dressing/ vinaigrette is to add:
- Dried herbs like dill, basil, parsley, cilantro, mint, or thyme
- Minced garlic, shallots or scallions
- Crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick of spice
- Dijon mustard adds an interesting mild flavor
- A pinch of Sugar or honey helps mellow the acid taste of the vinegar
One word of caution – once you add carbohydrates to the basic mixture, the shelf life becomes shorter. Best to just make enough for your dinner party, in order to be safe.
Visit and “like” our YouTube Videos on our YouTube Channel
If you like this homemade salad dressing, you should read about Olive Oil vs Vegetable Oil