Making your own salad dressing (or Vinaigrette if you want to sound fancy) sounds like it might be complicated, but it’s actually pretty easy, with just a few ingredients you have on hand in your pantry.
The basic vinaigrette formula is simply 1 part vinegar to 3 parts olive oil. Nothing more complicated than that.
So, for your fancy homemade salad dressing/ vinaigrette, here’s what you need
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar (I would use either balsamic or red wine vinegar)
- Pinch of salt
- Some ground black pepper
Put ingredients in a small bowl, Wisk everything until smooth and toss with your salad. And it’s an easy thing you can make in front of your guests to impress them with your new-found chef skills.
And since Olive Oil and Vinegar can both sit in your pantry shelf by themselves, your home-made dressing will keep quite a while. If you like you can refrigerate, but this simple recipe will keep in the pantry.
Some suggestions once you get the hang of the simple salad dressing/ vinaigrette is to add:
- Dried herbs like dill, basil, parsley, cilantro, mint, or thyme
- Minced garlic, shallots or scallions
- Crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick of spice
- Dijon mustard adds an interesting mild flavor
- A pinch of Sugar or honey helps mellow the acid taste of the vinegar
One word of caution – once you add carbohydrates to the basic mixture, the shelf life becomes shorter. Best to just make enough for your dinner party, in order to be safe.